Saturday 14 April 2012

Hey Good Looking ... Watcha Got Cooking?


Ladies and Gentlemen, please put your hands together and give a very warm welcome to our blog’s special guest star – the inimitable lil’ Miss Jessie.


Jessie is one ritzy lady with a first class (with honours) sense of style and gift for putting together some bonny ensembles. Jessie is also a girl after our own (collective) heart as bag-lover!  Being a regular Frock&Roller and friend of the shop Jessie came in recently for a mooch and a browse and some happy shopping time. We took the opportunity to catch up with the lovely lass for a natter and to have a nosy at her latest inspired purchase.

Hey there Jessie, we love the look you’re digging; it’s distinctive. How would you describe your style and what’s the inspiration behind it?
Hey there Frock&Roll, 40’s and 50’s vintage and rockabilly is the look I tend to go for. The 50’s is my favourite era by far. I was originally inspired through my love (or obsession!) with 1950’s music and style … it soon snowballed into a way of life!

So what is it about that era that has caught your imagination?
There was an immaculate sense of style, music, fashion and image. I like the humble 'make do' attitude and resourcefulness that came with the 50's although it was also during these times they began to realise what a good time was all about!

There were so many prominent and influential women from that period, is there anyone you especially revere as a style icon?
I don’t have one singular style icon … the obvious suggestions like Marilyn and Audrey spring to mind for their prowess and beauty. However, Grace Kelly, Betty Page and Rita Hayworth are particular favourites of mine!

In your downtime, when you’re not bargain hunting, jiving or sewing (more on this a little later!) where do your cultural tastes lie?
I have been brought up with music and it still plays a massive part in my life. I've learnt to appreciate 'good' music and musicians for their technicality, not popularity - all thanks to my dad! I also like to read classics and biographies. I do watch the odd film but sadly I don't have the attention span to sit through anything other than slapstick comedy!

You’re a Reading girl, where are your Reading hang outs?
Reading, well, there's not too much of a rockin' scene in Reading so I tend to travel to London for a spot of jiving. Mind you however, you will find me on occasion in the Purple Turtle for more impromptu nights out! I'm very fussy with the music I can bear!!

So … back to clothes (yay!), what's your favourite piece in your wardrobe?
Favourite piece; well I have a few! If you mean 'favourite' as in what gets worn most often it'd have to be my jeans, which get thrown on for almost any occasion! Although, I am very fond of my vintage mint green lurex wiggle dress; I just don't often get the opportunity to wear it!

So what’s in the bag and what you got planned for it?
I’ve just bought a new dress I've bought for a wedding - it's exactly what I've been looking for! 


I also bought a … wait for it … yep, another bag! 


What you thinking to go with the dress to finish the look?
I'm planning on finding some glass slippers or cute white sandals to finish the outfit off, perhaps with a bolero and  little box bag ... any excuse to do more shopping!

Finally what's your top fashion tip?
Always look your best ... you never know when you’ll be 'popping' out and end up regretting having not done your hair and make-up!

Thumbs up. Very cool.

FYI – Besides Jessie’s knack for a rockin’ look she is a creative and talented lady. Miss Jessie is a little gem with a sewing machine and offers an indispensible and brilliant service to mend and make alterations; she can even do custom made designs to retro patterns; quite impressive we’re sure you’ll agree.  For a price list text her on 07834 452926, email her at lilmisssewnsew1950@gmail.com or pick up a leaflet in the shop.

Love Frock&Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment